These exercises should take about 30 minutes.
Notes before you begin:
Please verify that the website you will request access to upon completing this course does run on OmniUpdate.
The following web browsers are supported on OmniUpdate
- Microsoft Internet Explorer versions: 9, 10, 11
- Mozilla Firefox versions: ESR 31, 33, 34, 35
- Google Chrome versions: 37, 38, 39
Apple Safari versions (Mac OS X Only): 6.x, 7.x, 8.0.x
We encourage users to access their OmniUpdate sites via Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Although Internet Explorer is supported, it can sometimes cause issues when editing pages.
You can connect to OmniUpdate and these exercises anywhere you have an internet connection. However, if you are off campus and/or out of the Vanderbilt network, you’ll need to log in via the Vanderbilt VPN. Instructions for setting up a VPN client are on the VUIT website.
Request an OmniUpdate Test Environment Account
- Open a ticket and request a user account on the Omni test environment
- Access will be granted in 24-48 hours – look for an email from Vanderbilt Web Communications.
After You’ve Received Access
Step 1: Log into OmniUpdate
- Go to this test site: http://omni-test.its.vanderbilt.edu/sandbox/
- Log in to the site using the copyright symbol
- Navigate (Content – Pages – Students) to the month that corresponds to when you are starting this training. (e.g., if you were taking this training in March 2015, you would go to the “mar-2015” folder).
- Note: Do not attempt to edit the training site home page (the first page you visit on the Omni sandbox). You will receive an error if you attempt to edit that page. Follow the steps detailed in steps 2 and 3 for creating your NEW directory and page.
Step 2: Create a New Directory
Reference: Chapter 10 video “Create Directory”
Name a directory with your last name and first initial — all lowercase with no spaces or special characters. (e.g., John Smith would be “smithj”).
Step 3: Create a Page
Reference: Chapter 3 video “Create a Page”
Create a 3 column page.
- Title: Enter your first and last name
- Display page title: Yes
- Filename: Enter first name-last name follow by .pcf. Use lowercase letters.(e.g., John Smith would be john-smith.pcf.)
Step 4: Edit Your Page
Reference: Chapter 5 “Editing Pages”. Chapter 6 “WYSIWYG Editor pt 1”
- In a new browser window, go to http://omni- test.its.vanderbilt.edu/sandbox/students/examples/sample-text.php
- Copy the text in the left column starting with the words “My Page” and ending with “End of my page.”
- Paste this text into the center column of your page
Step 5: Links
Reference: Chapter 7 “WYSIWYG pt 2”
- Create a link that goes to http://www.vanderbilt.edu
- Next, create an email link.
- Upload a file (e.g. a PDF) and link to it:– In a new browser window, go to http://omni- test.its.vanderbilt.edu/sandbox/students/examples/sample-file.php – Right click and download the “Download me” PDF file– Change the file name on your downloaded file to first name-last name-file.pdf (e.g., john-smith-file.pdf)– Upload the file to the /files/students directory– Link to this file on your page
Step 6: Images
Reference: Chapter 8 “WYSIWYG pt 3”
- In a new browser window, go to http://omni- test.its.vanderbilt.edu/sandbox/students/examples/sample-file.php
- Right click and download the light bulb image and save it to your computer
- Upload and add this picture to your page. Add the image to the center column and align it to the right or left.
Note: Do not put the image in the right column for the image alignment step. The image should be in the center column with your text wrapped around the graphic. Review these instructions if you are unsure how to align an image in Omni.
Step 7: Publish
- Go to Content – Pages
- Change the name of your file to add “-completed” to your file name so that it will befirstname-lastname-completed.pcf(e.g., john-smith-completed.pcf)
- Publish your page.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see the message “This page has been published successfully and is now live on the web. View in new window” Click on “View in new window.”
- You will need the url from that new window for the next step, submitting a work review request
You have completed your OmniUpdate training exercises; now you must open a new ticket for someone to review your work.
Please include the following information in your ticket:
- The URL of your completed page on the Omni test server.
- The URL of the website you would like access to once you’ve completed the course.
- The first and last name and email address of the primary website contact, or the manager that needs to approve your site access.
When your exercises have been reviewed, you’ll receive an email from the Learning Exchange and will be given access to your OmniUpdate website.
If your Learning Exchange class doesn’t show as completed within two business days, please submit a followup ticket.