Chapter 1 – Introduction to Omni
What is OmniUpdate?
OmniUpdate is one of Vanderbilt’s content management tools. All web page edits are done with a web page browser like Chrome or Firefox. It is easy to use with controls similar to what you will find in Microsoft Word. You don’t need to know HTML and you don’t need any special software to update your web pages.
What can OmniUpdate be used for?
You can use Omni to create and edit websites. Format text and upload documents and images all without writing a single line of code.
What are some OmniUpdate features?
- User friendly page editing interface
- Controls similar to Microsoft Word
- Page Parameters
- Control page layout to make a page 1-3 columns. Add features like RSS news feeds, university calendar events, menus, page title, breadcrumbs and social media sharing tools.
- Drag and drop file uploads
- Drag and drop images and files from your computer to easily add content to your site.
- Page check out
- Pages are automatically checked out to you when you edit, so you don’t have to worry about another user overriding your work
How do I get started?
If you would like to create a new Omni website, fill out this form to start a new project with University Web Communications. If you already have a website set up, go to web.vanderbilt.edu/help to request access to your website.
About this written documentation
These tutorials are meant as a companion guide to the OmniUpdate 101 training tutorials which are available in the Learning Exchange. They have been provided as a reference to remind you where features are located or which steps are needed to perform a task.
To sign up for the Learning Exchange tutorials, log into the Learning Exchange and search for